If you are looking for the Taco Bell Smothered Burrito Recipe then you are on the right blog page. In this post, I have shared the Popular Taco Bell Smothered Burrito Recipe with some useful information that you will like a lot I hope.
What is Taco Bell Smothered Burrito?
Taco Bell Smothered Burrito is a tasty meal you can order at Taco Bell restaurants. It’s a big, soft tortilla filled with yummy ingredients. Inside, you’ll find seasoned chicken, creamy refried beans, seasoned white rice, and a special green sauce that’s all mixed together.
This burrito is called “smothered” because it’s covered in even more of that tasty green sauce and melted cheese. To eat it, you’ll have to use both hands because it’s so big!
But guess what? You can make your very own smothered burrito at home! Just follow the recipe we shared earlier. You’ll cook the chicken, make the sauces, and put it all together in a tortilla. It’s a fun way to enjoy Taco Bell’s delicious flavors right in your own kitchen.
The Ingredients & Equipment Needs For Taco Bell Smothered Burrito
The ingredients and Tools are as follows:
Vegetable Oil: You will need 1 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil. Use Wesson or Happy Belly brand vegetable oil.
Chicken: You will need 1 1/2 lb of chicken breast, strips. Use fresh brand chicken breast and strip the chicken breast with a knife.
Salt & Pepper: You will need some salt and ground black pepper to season the chicken strips.
Onion: You will need 1 small white onion, diced (about 1/2 cup). Cut the onions in dice shape as preparation.
Chicken Taco Seasoning: You will need 1 packet (1 oz) of chicken taco seasoning. Use McCormick brand chicken taco seasoning to get the best result.
Water: You will need 1/2 cup water to cook the chicken.
Instant White Rice: You will need 2 cups of 5-minute instant white rice. Use Minute brand 5-minute instant white rice and cook the rice with the package instructions.
Cumin & Parsley Flakes: You will need some cumin and parsley flakes for seasoning the rice (optional).
Refried Beans: You will need 16 oz of Taco Bell refried beans. Use Taco Bell refried beans. to get the best result.
Velveeta Cheese: You will need 8 oz of Velveeta cheese. Use Kraft brand Velveeta cheese or use what you have on hand.
Green Chili Enchilada Sauce: You will need 10 oz of green chili enchilada sauce. Use Las Palmas brand green chili enchilada sauce.
Sour Cream: You will need 1/2 cup of sour cream. Use Happy Belly or Daisy brand sour cream.
Tortillas: You will need 8 large flour tortillas. Use Old El Paso or Mission brand flour tortillas.
You will need a Stove, Skillet, Saucepan, Mixing Bowl, Knife, Cutting Board, Measuring Cup, Measuring Spoon, Stirring Spoon, Microwave, and Serving Plate.
So, let’s see How To Make the Taco Bell Smothered Burrito Recipe at Home!
Taco Bell Smothered Burrito Recipe
Equipment & Tools
- Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- Stirring Spoon
- Serving Plate
- 1 ½ tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 ½ lb Chicken Breast (Cut into strips)
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- 1 Small White Onion, Diced
- 1 Packet (1 Oz) McCormick Chicken Taco Seasoning, Recommended
- ½ cup Water
- 2 cups 5-minute Instant White Rice
- Cumin And Parsley Flakes For Seasoning The Rice (Optional)
- 16 oz Taco Bell's Refried Beans, Recommended
- 8 oz Velveeta Cheese
- 10 oz Las Palmas Green Chili Enchilada Sauce, Recommended
- ½ cup Daisy Sour Cream, Recommended
- 8 Large Flour Tortillas
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add about a tablespoon and a half of vegetable oil (you can measure it if you prefer).
- Once the oil is hot (you'll hear it sizzle), add the chicken strips.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- While the chicken cooks dice half of the white onion.
- Cook the chicken for 8-10 minutes or until it's no longer pink in the middle.
- When the chicken is almost done, add the diced onion to the skillet to caramelize it with the chicken.
- Let the onion cook until it's caramelized to your liking.
- Turn off the heat and let the chicken rest on a cutting board.
- Cook the white rice according to the instructions on the package, seasoning it with salt, cumin, and parsley flakes to your taste.
- Heat the refried beans in a pot over medium-low heat.
- Once the chicken has cooled a bit, cut it into cubes, shred it, or slice it however you like.
- Place the cut chicken back into the skillet with the caramelized onions.
- Turn the heat to medium-high.
- Add the McCormick chicken taco seasoning and half a cup of water.
- Stir to incorporate the seasoning and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Cube the Velveeta cheese and mix it with the remaining green enchilada sauce in a pot.
- Heat the cheese mixture over medium heat until it's smooth and creamy.
- Warm the flour tortillas in the microwave for about 25 seconds.
- Lay a tortilla on a plate and add a portion of the cooked chicken.
- Top with the cheese sauce, rice, and beans.
- Fold the tortilla to enclose the filling, creating a burrito.
- Pour some green sauce over the top to smother the burrito.
- Drizzle with sour cream, as much as you like.
- Enjoy Your Taco Bell's smothered burrito at home!
Our Other Helpful Recipes:
Variations & Tips For Taco Bell Smothered Burrito
Veggie Delight Smothered Burrito: If you don’t eat meat, you can make a Veggie Delight Smothered Burrito. Instead of chicken, use sautéed bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms as your filling. Follow the same steps, and you’ll have a delicious vegetarian version.
Spicy Kick Smothered Burrito: For those who love a little heat, add some sliced jalapeños or hot sauce to your burrito filling. It will give your Smothered Burrito a spicy kick. Just be careful, it can get really hot!
Breakfast Smothered Burrito: You can also enjoy a breakfast version of the Smothered Burrito. Fill your tortilla with scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and shredded cheese. Smother it with green sauce and enjoy a tasty breakfast burrito.
Customize Your Fillings: Don’t be afraid to get creative with your burrito fillings. You can add diced tomatoes, avocado slices, or even black olives to make it unique and flavorful.
Keep Tortillas Warm: To make your burritos easier to fold and less likely to tear, warm your tortillas briefly in the microwave or on a skillet before filling them.
Control the Spice: Adjust the spiciness to your preference. If you like it milder, use less jalapeños or choose a mild enchilada sauce. For more heat, add extra hot sauce or chili flakes.
What to serve with Taco Bell Smothered Burrito?
When serving the Taco Bell Smothered Burrito, you can pair it with some tasty sides to make a complete meal. Here are some simple ideas:
Chips and Salsa: Serve some tortilla chips with a bowl of salsa for a crunchy and flavorful side dish.
Mixed Salad: A simple salad with lettuce, tomatoes, and a light dressing adds freshness to your meal.
Guacamole: Fresh guacamole with diced tomatoes, onions, and lime juice makes a creamy and delicious dip for your burrito.
Mexican Rice: A side of Mexican-style rice complements the flavors of the burrito. You can find pre-packaged Mexican rice mixes at the store or make your own at home.
Our Other Recipes:
FAQs about Taco Bell Smothered Burrito Recipe
Can I make this if I don’t eat meat?
Yes, you can! Instead of chicken, you can use sautéed veggies like bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms for a delicious vegetarian version.
How can I make my burrito spicier?
To add some heat, you can add sliced jalapeños or hot sauce to your burrito filling. Just be careful, it can get really spicy!
What else can I put in my burrito?
You can get creative with fillings! Try adding diced tomatoes, avocado slices, or black olives to make it even more flavorful.
How do I control the spiciness of the burrito?
Adjust the spiciness to your liking. Use less jalapeños or choose a mild sauce for a milder flavor. For more heat, add extra hot sauce or chili flakes.
Is it hard to make smothered burritos at home?
Not at all! The recipe provided has simple steps, and you can customize it to your taste. It’s a fun way to enjoy this dish without leaving home.
Our Other Helpful Recipes:
Making a Taco Bell Smothered Burrito at home is a tasty adventure that anyone can enjoy. With simple steps, you can create a flavorful and customizable meal right in your own kitchen. Whether you prefer chicken, veggies, or extra spice, this recipe allows you to make it your way.
The warm tortilla, creamy fillings, and smothering of sauce and cheese combine for a delicious bite. Don’t forget to pair it with some favorite sides like chips, salsa, or guacamole.
So, gather your ingredients, follow the steps, and savor the joy of a homemade Smothered Burrito that rivals your favorite restaurant version!