If you are a fan of Piccalilli then this Old Fashioned Piccalilli Recipe is for you. In this post, I have tried to make the Best Old Fashioned Piccalilli Recipe with some valuable tips that you will like a lot I hope.
What Is Old Fashioned Piccalilli?
The British interpretation of South Asian pickles, Piccalilli is a relish of chopped and pickled vegetables and spices. Regional cuisines vary considerably.
Old Fashioned Piccalilli’s main ingredients are vegetables, salt, sugar, cider vinegar, and some spices. There are only 13 ingredients and some kitchen equipment to make this Old Fashion Piccalilli at home which I explained in detail below.
The Ingredients Needs For Old Fashioned Piccalilli:
Vegetables: You will need the best quality green tomatoes, pickling cucumber, sweet onion, green pepper, and a small red pepper. Peel the onions, wash the vegetables, remove the stems of the tomatoes, remove the seeds from the peppers, and chop the vegetables.
Salt: use regular tables salt or you can use another salt like kosher or sea salt.
Vinegar: Use Bragg or Heinz brand apple cider vinegar or only cider vinegar.
Sugar: Use Domino brand white and brown sugar or you can use another brand for this Piccalilli recipe.
Peppercorns: Use McCormick or Spicy World brand Peppercorns or you can use another brand that you regularly use.
Celery Seeds: Use Frontier or McCormick celery seeds or use your own brand that you regularly use.
Mustard Seeds: Use Spicy World or McCormick brand mustard seeds.
Cloves: Use Aiva Products or McCormick brand whole cloves.
The Equipment & Tools Needs For Old Fashioned Piccalilli:
Stove, Stainless Steel Bowl, Measuring Cup, Measuring Spoon, Cutting Board, Knife, Wooden Spoon, and Glass Jar.
So, let’s see How To Make Old Fashioned Piccalilli Recipe!
Best Old Fashioned Piccalilli Recipe
Equipment & Tools
- Stainless Steel Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Wooden Spoon
- Glass Jar
- 6 lb Chopped Green Tomatoes
- 2 Large Sweet Onions
- 2 cups Chopped Pickling Cucumbers
- 1 Red Hot Pepper, Chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
- ½ cup Salt
- 4 cups Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar, Recommended
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- ½ cup White Sugar
- ½ tbsp McCormick Celery Seeds, Recommended
- ½ tbsp Crushed Peppercorns
- ½ tbsp McCormick Mustard Seeds, Recommended
- 1 tsp Whole Cloves
- Choose unbruised veggies and spices that have been freshly picked.
- Wash the vegetables, peel the onions, and remove the stem ends from the tomatoes.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers.
- Remove the cores from the peppers and discard the seeds.
- Combine vegetables and salt in a large stainless steel mixing bowl.
- Set away in a cool area for 12 hours, covered.
- Drain well the next day and press and squeeze away any excess liquid.
- Heat the vinegar, sugar, and all the spices in a big pot at medium heat.
- Put the chopped vegetables and bring them to a boil.
- Fill sterilized jars with the mixture, leaving 1/4 inch headspace, and seal.
- Process for 10 minutes in a bath of boiling water.
Our Other Sauce Recipes:
Where To Use Old Fashioned Piccalilli?
Old Fashioned Piccalilli is a relish that goes well with sausages, eggs, bacon, bread, cheese, and tomatoes. It’s served as a relish with cold meats like ham and brawn, as well as with a plowman’s lunch. It is commonly served around Christmas since it brightens up cold turkey and other leftovers.
How To Store Old Fashioned Piccalilli?
Leave sealed for at least six weeks and up to three months in the refrigerator or a dark, cool place. Keep in the fridge and consume within four weeks once opened.
Health Benefits Of Old Fashioned Piccalilli?
Piccalilli’s preservation system creates helpful microorganisms that ease digestion. Piccalilli is a nutritional powerhouse rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Our Other Sauce Recipes:
This Old Fashioned Piccalilli can be made in 40 minutes with only 13 ingredients and basic kitchen equipment. Simply grab your ingredients and start to work on preparing delicious Piccalilli at home.
I hope you liked this Old Fashioned Piccalilli Recipe. If you enjoyed it and want to share the Old Fashioned Piccalilli Recipe with others, please share this post with your friends and leave a comment.