If you are a Coffee Cake lover then this Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake Recipe is for you. In this post, I have shared the Popular Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake Recipe with some valuable tips that you will like a lot I hope.
What Is Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake?
Claire Saffitz is a cuisine writer, chef, and YouTube personality from the United States. She was a contributing editor at Bon Appétit magazine until mid-2020 and starred in several Bon Appétit YouTube series, including Gourmet Makes, where she reverse-engineered common snacks to make gourmet alternatives.
Claire Saffitz shows her fans a coffee cake recipe on her youtube channel which is very popular on the internet. Here I tried to make Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake. There are 14 ingredients and a few pieces of equipment needed to make these Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake Recipe which is listed below.
The Ingredients You Will Need For Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake:
Sugar, Cinamon, Instant Coffee Granules, Flour, Cardamon, Salt, Butter, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Sour Cream, Strong Brewed Coffee, Vanilla Extract, Neutral Oil, And Eggs.
Sugar: Use this packed Domino Light Brown Sugar brand for this recipe.
Cinnamon: Use McCormick Ground Cinnamon or you can use another brand.
Instant Coffee Granules: Use Civilized Brand Coffee Instant Coffee Granules or you can use your favorite brand.
Flour: Use King Arthur 100% Organic All-Purpose Flour for good results.
Cardamom: Use Simply Organic Cardamom brand or use from your kitchen.
Salt: Use Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt or you can use Morton brand.
Butter: Use President Unsalted Butter brand or you can use which one you regularly use.
Baking Powder: Use Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder which is recommended.
Baking Soda: Use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda or you can use another brand.
Sour Cream: Daisy Sour Cream is the best brand to use for the cake.
Strong Brewed Coffee: Make strong brewed coffee and use it.
Vanilla Extract: Use Watkins Pure Vanilla Extract brand or use your own choice.
Neutral oil: Use Pompeian 100% Grapeseed Oil brand.
Eggs: Use eggs, at room temperature for this recipe.
The Equipment & Tools You Will Need For Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake:
13×9” Metal Pan, Oven, Stand Mixer, Mixing Bowl, Measuring Cup, Measuring Spoon, and Wire Rack.
So, Let’s See How To Make Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake Recipe!
Popular Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake Recipe
Equipment & Tools
- 13×9” Metal Pan
- Stand Mixer
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- Wire Rack
For Coffee Ribbon:
- 2 tsp McCormick Ground Cinnamon, Recommended
- 3 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Instant Coffee Granules
For Coffee Crumb Topping:
- 1 ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Instant Coffee Granules
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¾ tsp Ground Cardamom
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, Cut Into Pieces, At Room Temperature
- 3 ½ cups King Arthur All-Purpose Flour, Recommended
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ⅔ cup Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Civilized Coffee Instant Coffee Granules, Recommended
- ½ cup Strong Brewed Coffee
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Unsalted Butter, At Room Temperature
- ¼ cup Neutral Oil
- 1 cup Granulated White Sugar
- ¾ cup Domino Light Brown Sugar, Recommended
- 4 Large Eggs, At Room Temperature
Make The Coffee Ribbon:
- Toss together the ground cinnamon, brown sugar, and instant coffee in a mixing bowl. Set aside the coffee ribbon mixture.
Make The Coffee Crumb Topping:
- Toss together the all-purpose flour, coffee granules, brown sugar, ground cardamom, and kosher salt in a medium mixing bowl. Toss in the unsalted butter to coat.
- With your fingertips, break the butter into the dry ingredients until no butter particles are visible and the mixture is crumbly but cohesive when squeezed. Set aside the crumb topping.
For Making The Batter:
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the sour cream, instant coffee granules, brewed coffee, and vanilla in a separate medium mixing bowl.
- Beat the butter, granulated sugar, oil, and brown sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low until smooth.
- Adjust the mixer's speed to medium-high and, after 5 or 6 minutes, scrape down the bowl once or twice to ensure the mixture becomes very light and fluffy.
- Bring the mixer speed to medium, add the eggs one at a time, and beat thoroughly after each addition. You should clean the mixer's sides.
- Mix in roughly one-third of the flour mixture on low speed until the flour is practically gone.
- Add half of the sour cream mixture and beat just until combined.
- In two additions, alternately add the remaining flour and sour cream mixture.
- When no more flour can be seen, turn off the mixer and take out the bowl.
- In order to ensure that the batter is thoroughly mixed, it should be folded over and scraped down with a flexible spatula several times.
Assemble The Cake:
- Set aside a 13×9" metal pan that has been generously buttered on the bottom and edges. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a spatula, scrape half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
- The coffee ribbon mixture should be sprinkled over the batter and evenly distributed.
- Drop the remaining batter and spread it evenly over the top.
- Distribute the topping crumbs evenly over the batter.
- Bake the coffee cake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is puffed and golden brown and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Avoid overbaking. The cake center will wobble. When a tester comes out clean, take the cake out and let it cool on a wire rack.
- After cutting it into squares, serve it.
- However, instant espresso powder is much finer and has a stronger flavor than instant coffee granules, thus using the latter will result in an unpleasantly bitter cake.
- You want to give the cake a lot of lift, so take your time creaming the butter, oil, and sugars in the mixer. This is an important step, and skipping it will result in a denser, less fluffy cake.
Our Other Useful Posts:
What To Serve With Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake?
Milky Coffee: Chocolate and coffee pair well. This pairing is perfect despite their similar tastes. Let hot coffee dissolve the rich, spongy cake in your mouth.
Red Wine: Red wine and coffee cake sound strange, but try it. This pair is divine.
Fruit Salad: Coffee Cake and a fruit salad make a healthy dinner. This combination is great if you eat healthily.
How To Store Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake?
The coffee cake can be kept at room temperature for up to two days if it is stored in an airtight container.
The coffee cake can be kept fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week if it is sealed in an airtight container.
How Freeze Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake?
Wrap your coffee cake tightly in plastic wrap and freeze it for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Allow to totally defrost at room temperature.
Our Other Useful Posts:
The Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake Recipe is a must-try recipe. Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake Recipe makes wonderful coffee cakes at home using only 14 ingredients, some kitchen equipment, 45 minutes of baking time, and 20 minutes of prep time. This coffee cake is ideal for parties and other social gatherings.
Gather the necessary ingredients to make this wonderful soft coffee cake in a short amount of time and with little effort for your family. I hope that you enjoyed Claire Saffitz Coffee Cake Recipe. Please tell your friends about this recipe for coffee cake, and give us your feedback by leaving a comment below to let us know what you think of it.